[Samba] which version best to use right now?

Andrew Masterson Andrew.Masterson at nuvistaenergy.com
Wed Nov 4 15:59:48 MST 2009

[mailto:samba-bounces at lists.samba.org]
> On Behalf Of Philip Brown
> Sent: Wednesday, November 04, 2009 1:41 PM
> To: samba at lists.samba.org
> Subject: [Samba] which version best to use right now?
>
> hiya folks,
> I've been trying to figure out which branch of samba is best for us to
use.
> I read the FAQ, and it seems a little out of date. or at best, lacking
in info.
> It says that, "The current stable, production Samba server is the
Samba 3.2
> branch."
>
> If that is the case.. then why are there **THREE** other branches?
>
> why is there also a 3.3, *and* a 3.4, *and* a 4.x branch?
>
> To give an idea of my criteria: I'm looking for a version that will be
part
> of a large-scale server for the next few years, as a member of an
ms-windows
> active directory

What OS are you using?  If you're using something like RHEL or SUSE I
would go with the vendor-packaged kit and forget any of the bleeding
edge stuff.  Red Hat is still on 3.0.33, but they seem to keep it more
up to date that a generic 3.0.33 release, and I would go with that - it
performs just fine and should have all the functionality you need.
(unless you end up in a strange AD environment that you need more
current AD support, but I severely doubt it)

-=Andrew