[Samba] Accessing Windows file-system from Linux samba server

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Sun Nov 1 20:11:35 MST 2009

I don't understand Windows permissions under Samba.
I am running an smb server under CentOS-5.4,
and have a Windows XP Pro machine ("harriet") as a client.

I have set up shares C and D on harriet
corresponding to the 2 drives C: and D: on the machine,
and I have asked that files should be shared.

Now when I mount harriet:C I can see
the top level folders,
but cannot see Documents and Settings\tim
although I can enter the All Users and Default User folders:
[tim at helen samba]$ sudo mount -t cifs harriet:C /mnt/win
Password:
[tim at helen samba]$ cd /mnt/win
[tim at helen win]$ cd Documents\ and\ Settings/
[tim at helen Documents and Settings]$ ls
All Users  Default User  deirdre  LocalService  NetworkService  roisin  tim
[tim at helen Documents and Settings]$ ls tim
ls: reading directory tim: Permission denied
[tim at helen Documents and Settings]$ ls Default\ User/
Application Data  Desktop    Local Settings  NetHood     NTUSER.DAT.LOG
Recent  Start Menu
Cookies           Favorites  My Documents    NTUSER.DAT  PrintHood
SendTo  Templates
[tim at helen Documents and Settings]$ ls All\ Users/
Application Data  Desktop  Documents  DRM  Favorites  Lx_cats  Start Menu
Templates

I don't understand;
What do changes do I have to make to enter "tim"s folder;
and why amd I able to enter "Default User".

Any help or enlightenment gratefully received.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net