[Samba] Is building a load balance setup like this workable?

Jack Downes jax at nwmt.us
Sun May 31 14:47:00 GMT 2009

Volker Lendecke wrote:
> On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 11:28:50PM -0600, Jack Downes wrote:
>

> rsync?
>
> Printing is separate enough I think so that you can live
> with an rsync master and have the clients choose one server
> by dns round-robin or so.
>
> Volker

Heh, cool, this is exactly what I have now... however, everytime I
reload the samba servers from the /etc/init.d/samba method, they
invariably come up showing //printserver with only 2 objects - not the
normal 505.  They lose their minds somehow.

However, I notice that if I use the SWAT method (manually from a
browser) I can 'restart all'  on the services and everything works as
expected.  So, I'm not sure what's up here, but I'd sure like to have
what I've got work.  Any idea what's up with my way of restarting.

btw, I realize I need to sync the ntprinters.tdb, the drivers.tdb, and
all the various printers.tdb, right. Also need to sync the cups
printers.conf file first - reload cups, and then reload samba.  If cups
is down, samba shows no printers.  So, it seems I'm screwing up
somewhere in there.  That's why I'm going down the road of clusterfs, etc.

Can you be a little more specific on how to restart samba via script
such that it's how swat does it, or more the "correct" way?

thanks,
Jack