[Samba] NFS mounted samba share

Thu May 28 06:15:05 GMT 2009

On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 10:38:00AM -0500, Daniel Bourque wrote:
>    I'm sharing an NFS mounted directory via samba. When a client
> connect to the share, he can browse it fine, but any attempt to read
> data, like copying or looking that the file's properties results in a
> lockup on the client, and an eventual time out. On the server, a lock (
> DENY_NONE  0x120089    RDONLY     NONE ) is created an never goes away,
> even after the client as disconnected.

Please don't re-export NFS imports via Samba. This is not
really supported exactly due to the problems you mention.

If you absolutely must do this because for example your
NetApp NFS server does not have CIFS enabled, you might want
to try setting "posix locking = no" in your smb.conf. This
works around bugs in your NFS client and means
cross-protocol locking is not done.

Volker