[Samba] Re: Windows 7 RC

Joel Osburn jtosburn at pivotarchitecture.com
Fri May 15 23:51:17 GMT 2009

>> Immediately after a domain join, we have observed the following message
>> from the Windows 7 client (which appears to be benign as discussed below):
>>
>> "Changing the Primary Domain DNS name of this computer to "" failed.
>> The name will remain "TESTDOMAIN".  The error was:
>>
>> The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted"
>>
>> This doesn't appear to impact the client subsequently participating in
>> the Samba 3 domain, and I presume it is because Windows 7 requests a DNS
>> name from the DC (which only makes sense in an Active Directory
>> environment ?)
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Patrick

I'd like to add that I observe this behavior with Samba 3.2.11;  that is
to say, the Windows 7 RC 7100 will join the Samba domain, report the DNS
error, and then function correctly.  At least it looks good so far!

The registry keys mentioned by Volker were needed, but no testing was
done with just the first two.

Joel