[Samba] group mapping question

Miguel Medalha miguelmedalha at sapo.pt
Fri May 8 00:44:37 GMT 2009

>  net groupmap add ntgroup="Domain Admins" unixgroup=domadm rid=512 type=d
>
> Question 1: if my previous /etc/group names already match the
> ntgroup names, do I still need to run the above command?

Yes.

> Question 2: once I have mapped these groups, where are they
> stored, so I can back them up?

 From a table in "Chapter 41. Managing TDB Files" of the
"Samba-HOWTO-Collection" you just quoted:
http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/msdfs.html

«
group_mapping.tdb: Stores group mapping information. Preserve?=Yes. Not
used when using LDAP backend.
»

So, if you use LDAP, backup the LDAP database or a export it to a LDIF
file and keep the file.
If you are using tdbsam as a backend, look into /var/lib/samba (at least
in a RedHat System) and backup the "group_mapping.tdb" file.

Most of all, do your homework. Please note that you can download the
following books in PDF format and use the search function.

Samba 3 By Example
Samba 3 HOWTO

They are included with Samba.