[Samba] Samba and LDAP

Pete Clapham peteclapham at sbcglobal.net
Thu May 7 23:19:19 GMT 2009

Hi, all --

I am trying to set up an additional domain server within  my network
using SAMBA and LDAP.  There's a problem that I think is with LDAP.  If
any of you have set up a system like this, I would appreciate your
expertise.

Question # 1:  My PDC, which controls the domain and SAMBA, should
clearly use LDAP server.  Should the additional server use SAMBA server
or client?  Workstations will sign onto the domain and then onto shares
on both the PDC and the additional server.

Question # 2:  If I copy the / directory to a flash drive, can I just
copy it back to the hard drive if I end up with a configuration
impossibility?  I've had to reload the system once already because of
LDAP configuration problems, and I'd rather not do it again.

The SAMBA shares on the PDC are working fine.  But I can't share thing on the other server unless I set up a smbpasswd set, and that's a pain.

Thanks.

cheers,

pete