[Samba] file locking options in smb.conf

Wed May 6 06:54:45 GMT 2009

On Tue, May 05, 2009 at 11:35:54PM -0700, Anoop P.A. wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> Any body implemented cross protocol file locking before? Any pointer
> will help me a lot
>
> Hi Volker,
>
> CIFS -> CIFS locking is not working as expected. It failed for me in
> following scenario.
>
> 1. Opened a share using browser in Win XP machine.
> 2. Copied a word document (*.doc) to share.
> 3. Mounted CIFS share in a Ubuntu (8.04 LTS desktop).
> 4. Opened word document from Ubuntu using openoffice 2.4
> 5. Tried to open same file in Win XP but it didn't open and got error
> message "No proper file permission" (I expect word document to open   in
> read only mode).
>
> However if I open document first in Win XP and then using Open office
> working as expected i.e. Document getting opened in read only mode.

Well, that's because Unix does not know about so-called
share modes that Microsoft Office uses. OpenOffice 3 will
solve this cross-platform using a lock file, so if you are
using that on both Windows and Linux it should work fine.

Volker