[Samba] file locking options in smb.conf

Anoop P.A. Anoop_P.A at pmc-sierra.com
Wed May 6 06:35:54 GMT 2009

Hi list,

Any body implemented cross protocol file locking before? Any pointer
will help me a lot

Hi Volker,

CIFS -> CIFS locking is not working as expected. It failed for me in
following scenario.

1. Opened a share using browser in Win XP machine.
2. Copied a word document (*.doc) to share.
3. Mounted CIFS share in a Ubuntu (8.04 LTS desktop).
4. Opened word document from Ubuntu using openoffice 2.4
5. Tried to open same file in Win XP but it didn't open and got error
message "No proper file permission" (I expect word document to open   in
read only mode).

However if I open document first in Win XP and then using Open office
working as expected i.e. Document getting opened in read only mode.

Thanks
Anoop