[Samba] Text File Corruption Writing from Windows to Linux NFS Share.

shunter at ddci.com shunter at ddci.com
Mon Mar 23 21:06:34 GMT 2009

I am running a Windows 2003 Server with Microsoft Services for UNIX (SFU)
installed which is serving NFS shares to a Redhat Enterprise Workstation
v5 Linux machine which is running Samba 3.0.33-3.7.el5.  There is also a
Solaris 5.6 workstation serving NFS shares.  All of these are mounted on
the RHEL machine and are visible to Samba.  I can read and copy anything
from any share using Windows Explorer to my Windows XP Pro machine.  I can
copy to and/or write anything I want on the Solaris shares.  If I attempt
to write a PDF file to any of the SFU shares, the write fails with a
Windows message that either the file is busy (which it is not) or the
share does not have write permissions (which it does).  If I attempt to
copy a text file to this same share using Windows Explorer, the copy
succeeds.  However the contents of the file is lost leaving only a stream
of null characters.  If I attempt to edit a text file on any of the SFU
shares, the contents of the file is replaced by a bunch of null
characters.  Yet, if I use Cygwin on the same XP Pro machine to copy the
same text file from the same Windows directory to the same SFU share via
Samba, the copy works just fine.

Do SFU shares need to be mounted with some "special" switch on the RHEL
machine for Samba to be able to write to them?  Is there some obscure
Samba configuration switch that I've missed?

Any help that might point me in the right direction would be appreciated.
Thank you.

Stephen Hunter
Systems Administrator
DDC-I, Inc.
shunter at ddci.com

This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the sender of this E-Mail by return E-Mail or by telephone.