[Samba] integration with existing ldap directory

jeff sacksteder jsacksteder at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 23:58:48 GMT 2009

I'm having trouble wading through the various documents that only
partially apply to my situation.

I have an exsting LDAP instance providing NSS login data to my small
group of linux machines. I want to also now provide domain logins
against those user accounts.

So far I have determined that I need to

1. add the samba schema to the directory
2. set the attribute access appropriately
3. add unix groups corresponding to the well known windows groups

My immediate questions are 'what groups?' and 'do I add them to passwd
or in the directory?'.

If there is a document for this configuration, a pointer would help me out.