[Samba] Error trying to create LOCAL groups & Users

Mike Hurst mhurst at creditacceptance.com
Tue Mar 10 18:17:14 GMT 2009

We are running Samba 3.033 / Winbind on RHEL5 x64 that authenticates to our AD domain. We need to create a few LOCAL service accounts and groups (for Oracle) however when we try to add the user & group accounts, we get the error: groupadd: group dba exists. This is because we have a domain account with the same name, but we do not want to use the domain group, we want a new local only group.

Is there a way we can add the local user & group accounts without it looking the account up in AD first?

Thanks!
Mike Hurst
UNIX Administrator