[Samba] how to add a linux box into a samba domain

robert rottermann robert at redcor.ch
Mon Mar 9 08:17:27 GMT 2009

robert rottermann schrieb:
> hi there,
> I am trying to setup a test nework to learn the interaction of the diverse tools
> in a smaba/windows network.
> now it looks as if I do something wrong when adding a linux box into the domain.
>
> I have a samba domain ROTTI.
> It is running on server haydn.redcor.home
>
> from windows I can log into this domain.
>
> now I have a linux box I wanto to join to this domain.
> this is its global section:
> [global]
> 	workgroup = rotti
> 	security = user

I changed that to security=domain

>     add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd  -c Machine -d /var/lib/nobody -s
> /bin/false %m$
> 	domain logons = No
> 	domain master = No
> 	netbios name = chrissy
> 	passdb backend = smbpasswd
>     ;;;
>     ;;; Options for winbind
>     ;;;
> 	winbind uid = 20000-30000
> 	winbind gid = 20000-30000
> 	winbind use default domain = yes
>
> 	log level = 3
> 	idmap gid = 20000-30000
> 	idmap uid = 20000-30000
> 	usershare allow guests = No
>
> now my questions:
> net join produces the message:
> "cannot join as standalone machine"
> why ?
> what do I have to change?
>
> wbinfo -a robert%secret
> plaintext password authentication failed
> Could not authenticate user robert with plaintext password
> challenge/response password authentication failed
> error code was NT_STATUS_INVALID_HANDLE (0xc0000008)
> error messsage was: Invalid handle
> Could not authenticate user robert with challenge/response
>
> what have I to do, that wbinfo authenticates against the domain?
>
> thanks
> robert
now I get the following:
net join
Unable to find a suitable server
Unable to find a suitable server

and:
wbinfo -a robert%secret
plaintext password authentication failed
Could not authenticate user robert with plaintext password
challenge/response password authentication failed
error code was NT_STATUS_NO_LOGON_SERVERS (0xc000005e)
error messsage was: No logon servers
Could not authenticate user robert with challenge/response

thanks for your time
robert