[Samba] Changing Domain Passwords

Nigel Allen dna at edrs.com.au
Mon Mar 9 00:44:11 GMT 2009

Greetings

Can anyone tell me if this is possible?

Given a network of Linux based servers with a Linux based PDC (Centos
3.9) running samba 3.0.26a and NIS with Windows-XP clients, we want to
enforce password changing policies for the Windows Domain.

We want to have users able to change their own passwords at required but
with some control over minimum complexity, re-use etc. We want them to
be able to change their passwords from the XP workstations and have that
change propagated to samba and to NIS without any intervention.

I have tried to implement this but seem to constantly run into problems
with PAM. If we switch off pam password change in smb.conf, we can
change passwords from the workstation but they don't get propagated. The
only way I have been able to achieve what we want is by getting someome
with root access to change passwords for the end users (not something we
want to make a habit of).

Any input would be /very/ gratefullt accepted.

Rgds

Nigel.