[Samba] acl_xattr vs. acl_tdb

Mon Mar 9 11:11:40 GMT 2009

On Sun, Mar 08, 2009 at 09:29:42PM +0000, Miguel Medalha wrote:
> I am now experimenting with samba 3.3.0 and acl_xattr. I can see that
> there is another method of storing Windows ACLs: acl_tdb.
>
> Can someone here tell me something about the relative merits and
> demerits of those two methods?

xattrs have size limitations on most file systems, so you
won't be able to store truly large ACLs. Don't know the
numbers for ext3.

The tdb one is there for file systems without xattrs or with
too severe limitations for them, but it has issues with
native unix backup/restore (acls are indexed by inode).

Volker