[Samba] Upgrading from NT to AD

Edward Ned Harvey samba at nedharvey.com
Thu Jun 11 01:24:14 GMT 2009

> Could someone point me toward documentation on the impact to Samba of
> upgrading from an NT domain to Active Directory?  I've found docs on
> Samba with NT domains and docs on Samba with AD, but not so much on
> the upgrade process.  I'd like to know exactly what I'm doing before I
> do anything that could cut my Windows users off from the file
> servers.  Whether it's as easy as "do the upgrade and your Samba
> servers will automatically make the transition", or I have to set up
> Kerberos and make changes to smb.conf, I want to be sure I know all
> the steps involved.

I don't know any such documentation (and good luck to you finding it) - I
would think maybe you'll find something going from 2003 to 2008 ... but from
NT to AD ... phew doggy...

Anyway - I do have some advice for you.  Find some way to attach a new hard
drive to the windows server.  Boot from something like centos cd1 in rescue
mode.  Use dd to backup the OS hard drive to a file on the new HD.  If the
OS hard drive is software mirrored, make separate dd's for each of the 2
hard drives.  That way, you're free to do what you need to do, and you
always have a safetynet.

Assuming you're using Kerberos, my expectation is that you don't need to do
anything at all on the samba server.  But don't hold me to it.