[Samba] Does this tell me anything? Traffic report

Chris Smart mail at christophersmart.com
Tue Jun 9 04:33:09 GMT 2009

2009/6/8 Matt Burkhardt <mlb at imparisystems.com>:
>> Just a few thoughts:
>> Is Samba only listening on localhost rather than your ethernet device?

Have you set anything for interfaces in your /etc/samba/smb.conf? If
so, try taking it out or ensuring it's correct.

> I was thinking that might be the problem, but I don't know how to
> check / fix it...
>> What does 'sudo netstat -lt' show?

Unless I'm mistaken, I can't see Samba listening on your machine. You
should have something like:

tcp 0 0 *:netbios-ssn *:*
tcp 0 0 *:microsoft-ds *:*

Can you also try netstat -ltu? Maybe it's UDP only.

I can see SWAT there.. can you connect to it?

>> Is the daemon running? 'sudo ps aux |grep smb'
>
> sudo ps -e | grep mb
> 31686 ?        00:00:01 nmbd
> 31688 ?        00:00:00 smbd

OK, so it looks like you have some daemons running..

>> Are you blocking anything in /etc/hosts.deny or /etc/hosts.allow?
>>
> They both contain only commented lines - no information other than that

OK, so that's fine.

What do the logs say?

-c