[Samba] Does this tell me anything? Traffic report

Matt Burkhardt mlb at imparisystems.com
Mon Jun 8 13:56:46 GMT 2009

On Mon, 2009-06-08 at 12:25 +1000, Chris Smart wrote:
> 2009/6/8 Matt Burkhardt <mlb at imparisystems.com>:
> > I'm trying to get Samba up and running and having a terrible time.  It
> > says that I should be able to run nmap and see that 137 and 139 are open
> > - which they are not.  I have not added any restrictions in smb.conf, do
> > not have a firewall running and I have increased the log level to 5 to
> > see all of the messages.  It says that it is talking on 137 but it kind
> > of looks like it's not talking back.
>
> Just a few thoughts:
> Is Samba only listening on localhost rather than your ethernet device?

I was thinking that might be the problem, but I don't know how to
check / fix it...
> What does 'sudo netstat -lt' show?

sudo netstat -lt
Active Internet connections (only servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State
tcp        0      0 *:amanda                *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 localhost:8100          *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:swat                  *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:ldap                  *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:sane-port             *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:mysql                 *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:sunrpc                *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:webmin                *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:www                   *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:81                    *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:82                    *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:8083                  *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:83                    *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 192.168.1.100:domain    *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 localhost:domain        *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:ipp                   *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:postgresql            *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 localhost:smtp          *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 localhost:953           *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:58426                 *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:https                 *:*                     LISTEN
tcp6       0      0 localhost:8005          [::]:*                  LISTEN
tcp6       0      0 [::]:ldap               [::]:*                  LISTEN
tcp6       0      0 [::]:8009               [::]:*                  LISTEN
tcp6       0      0 [::]:5001               [::]:*                  LISTEN
tcp6       0      0 [::]:webcache           [::]:*                  LISTEN
tcp6       0      0 [::]:domain             [::]:*                  LISTEN
tcp6       0      0 [::]:ssh                [::]:*                  LISTEN
tcp6       0      0 [::]:ipp                [::]:*                  LISTEN
tcp6       0      0 [::]:postgresql         [::]:*                  LISTEN

> Is the daemon running? 'sudo ps aux |grep smb'

sudo ps -e | grep mb
31686 ?        00:00:01 nmbd
31688 ?        00:00:00 smbd

> Are you blocking anything in /etc/hosts.deny or /etc/hosts.allow?

They both contain only commented lines - no information other than that
--
Matt Burkhardt, M.Sci. Technology Management
mlb at imparisystems.com
(301) 682-7901
502 Fairview Avenue
Frederick, MD  21701