[Samba] Make CIFS look like NFS

Michal Dobroczynski michal.dobroczynski at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 17:55:23 GMT 2009

Hello,
Thanks for the details - they really change completely the whole
background ;) Anyway, there's not much I can help in such situation -
but see my comments below. Maybe they will help (convince?) in some
way.

2009/6/4 Daniel L. Miller <dmiller at amfes.com>:
> Michal Dobroczynski wrote:
>>
>> Hi Daniel,
>> Can you specify what NFS features are important to you in such case?
>> (in other words please define "look like NFS")
>>
>> Regards,
>> Michal
>
> Oh - you want me to be specific?  What fun would that be? ;-)
>
> Ok, specifics...
>
> I'm trying to run an IMAP mail server (Dovecot) in a virtual machine.
>  However, I do not want the messages stored within the virtual disk.  So -
> the question was how the virtual machine could access those files.  Dovecot
> has been setup and tested with NFS.  However, when I asked about
> compatibility with CIFS, I was told it would probably not work.  Testing on
> my own showed that in fact that this resulted in problems - it appeared temp
> files would be created and never deleted.  I tried a few different smb.conf
> & mount parameters that SEEMED appropriate - but wasn't able to get it to
> work.  So...

I am not aware of possible issues (fs calls circus) apart from using
":" in file names:

smb: \mico\> put "test:test"
putting file test:test as \mico\test:test (0,0 kb/s) (average 0,0 kb/s)

smb: \mico\> ls
  .                                   D        0  Thu Jun  4 19:48:34 2009
  ..                                  D        0  Thu Jun  4 19:48:29 2009
  TLNVL5~P                                     0  Thu Jun  4 19:48:40 2009

> I guess my specific question would be how can I setup CIFS so Dovecot will
> work with it as happily as it does with NFS?

I think you will have to change your requirements and consider NFS
instead of CIFS :(

Regards,
Michal