[Samba] Make CIFS look like NFS

Daniel L. Miller dmiller at amfes.com
Thu Jun 4 17:27:11 GMT 2009

Michal Dobroczynski wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
> Can you specify what NFS features are important to you in such case?
> (in other words please define "look like NFS")
>
> Regards,
> Michal
Oh - you want me to be specific?  What fun would that be? ;-)

Ok, specifics...

I'm trying to run an IMAP mail server (Dovecot) in a virtual machine.
However, I do not want the messages stored within the virtual disk.  So
- the question was how the virtual machine could access those files.
Dovecot has been setup and tested with NFS.  However, when I asked about
compatibility with CIFS, I was told it would probably not work.  Testing
on my own showed that in fact that this resulted in problems - it
appeared temp files would be created and never deleted.  I tried a few
different smb.conf & mount parameters that SEEMED appropriate - but
wasn't able to get it to work.  So...

I guess my specific question would be how can I setup CIFS so Dovecot
will work with it as happily as it does with NFS?
--
Daniel