[Samba] Change the OS Level of Windows

Norberto Bensa nbensa at gmail.com
Sat Jul 18 19:13:34 MDT 2009

On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 3:34 PM, Richard Lamboj<Richard.Lamboj at gmx.at> wrote:
> is there a way of changing the OS Level of Windows XP? Some time ago i have seen a strange thing. We have running 70 Windows XP Clients and we have three trusted domains with Samba. Sometimes logons on trusted domains are very slow or doesnt work. So i have searched and searched. I have turned one windows xp client after one off. I have found three Windows XP Computer that makes troubles. If this three Windows XP Clients are online, than trusted domain logins doesnt work! I have formated those Computers and reinstalled Windows XP, now it works. So is there a way to manipulate the "OS Level" of Windows? And why got a Windows XP Pro client Domain Logon Requests? Strange...

I have experienced something like that.

One day ONE Windows XP wrongly configured (workgroup instead of domain
member) took the place of the PDC. Lots of bad things started to
happen. For example, we couldn't add machines to the domain, etc. We
have to shutdown every workstation and the server.

> Is there a way to tell the WINS Server wich PDC is responsible for a Domain?

domain logons = yes

HTH,
Norberto

PS: fix your email client.