[Samba] Problem with offline drive

Walter Mautner retlaw.rentuam at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 17:51:55 GMT 2009

Am Thursday 29 January 2009 17:02:09 schrieb BOURIAUD:
> Hi !
> I hope that someone will be abble to help me with the problem I get with my
> samba machines, though it is not really a samba problem.
> Here is the config I use :
> I'm running a samba controler on a rhel 5 machine (rpm -qa says
> samba-3.0.33-3.7.el5) which acts as a domain controler.
> My machines, all windows XP use to be connected to this controler. I have
> no problem with them. The problem occurs with laptops.
> Indeed, we have some drives mapped to the domain controler. The one that
> causes problem is the M: drive, on which is stored the profile of

Bad. Storing mail databases on network drives (in particular when they become
bigger) or storing them on a roaming profile path is not supported for
Microsofts e-mail programs. Even though Thunderbird/Mozilla don't explicitely
forbid it, it is also bad for Thunderbird.
You would be far better with plain local storage and synchronization or
imap/offline imap.
As a workaround, change the mail profile to a local path and use Microsoft
synctoy to sync with the path in M: when online.
For Gods sake, disable offline file function in XP.