[Samba] List search question

D Parker drp at iest.hampshire.edu
Thu Jan 22 18:48:18 GMT 2009

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 11:52:13AM -0600, Troy Heidner wrote:

> I'm a new member here at Samba lists.  I've been a lightweight Samba user
> for several years, but now I am investigating replacing our Active Directory
> domain with a pure Samba domain.  I already have a few questions, but before
> I start posting them I though I'd ask about searching the list archives.  I
> might be missing something here, but I haven't found a way to do it?  I
> found the list archives, but it would be impractical to "browse" through all
> the historical postings to find an answer.  Surely there is a way to search
> that I haven't found?  If so, I'd love some pointers.  Then I can search for
> answers to my questions before I begin posting them here.  I don't want to
> rehash old topics if it's not necessary.

Hi Troy,

I would recommend searching from Google, and after the keywords you want
to search for, append "site:lists.samba.org/archive/samba/".

For example, here's the URL for the search '"active directory"
replacement':

	http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q="active+directory"+replacement+site%3Alists.samba.org%2Farchive%2Fsamba%2F&btnG=Search

It won't include messages posted since the last time Google indexed the
site, but otherwise it works pretty well.

Dan