[Samba] Mac OS 10.5 seems to change permissions on files

Stuart Reedy stu at coe.uky.edu
Thu Jan 15 15:37:03 GMT 2009

Greetings,

We have an issue using Mac OS 10.5 with our Samba shares connected via
cifs://server/Sharename.  From what I can tell, when the Mac writes a
file the permissions are correct (0660). Then it seems to change the
permission to 0644, defeating the whole point of shared files.

Has anyone else encountered this and, perhaps, found a work-around?

Server Info:
Samba 3.0.33 (Slackware package)
Slackware 11.0

smb.conf:
[global]
         workgroup = WG
         server string = Samba Server
         interfaces = x.x.x.x/16
         passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
         unix password sync = Yes
         ldap ssl = no
         hosts allow = x.x., 127.0.0.1
         ea support = Yes
         veto files = /.DS_Store/._.*/DesktopFolderDB/Network Trash
Folder/resource.frk/TheFindByContentFolder/TheVolumeSettingsFolder/
         delete veto files = true
--==SNIP==--
[Sharename]
         path = /path/ShareName
         valid users = @somegroup
         write list = @somegroup
         read only = No
         create mask = 0660
         directory mask = 0770
         force create mode = 0660
         force directory mode = 0770

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!
Stu...
--
Stuart Reedy               Working hard for a great university!
stu at coe.uky.edu
859 257-7966               http://www.coe.uky.edu/~stu/