[Samba] Re: Vista on domain... can Samba join without Administration priviledges?

Joe Farkas stpap at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 15 12:54:24 GMT 2009

On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 18:07:19 +0000, Joe Farkas wrote:

> Hello there,
>
> I have a machine on campus which used to only have Vista. The admins set
> up (in Vista) an account for me on the domain and given me administrator
> rights (on the local machine). Linux/BSD alternatives are a no-no here
> so I did the maverick thing and installed Fedora. But I would like to
> have access to domain resources from my GNU/Linux partition if I can
> (printing is especially an issue).
>
> Assuming I don't know the administrator password on the active directory
> machine and I can't do a:
> net ads join -U administrator%password is there a way for me to have
> access to domain resources? Assume that my kerberos setup (krb5.conf) is
> fine and I can get tickets.
>
> A pointer in the right direction would do; I can do the legwork myself.
> Thanks

Ok, to answer my own question: I was completely out of touch with what
needed to happen. I assigned the machine the same IP as in Vista, assigned
it the same hostname (although I hardly think that matters) and disable
the firewall settings in fedora which do not allow Samba to work (through
the GUI). Now, I have access to printers, file shares and so on, and all I
had to do was input my username/password in the GUI prompts.

Apologies for being ignorant.