[Samba] samba stops updating user shares

nabbleusr1234565 rogersusr123 at rogers.com
Sun Jan 11 01:36:04 GMT 2009

Can anyone help?

I tried some stuff from the samba checklist.

The pc could ping both the samba server shwick_gateway and itself
shwickhomepc.
The server couldn't ping shwickhomepc: "ping: unknown host shwickhomepc".
It also couldn't ping shwick_gateway.
On the server when i do "smbclient -L shwick_gateway" I get "Connection to
shwick_gateway failed (Error NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME)".
On the server when i do "nmblookup shwickhomepc" it returns the right ip.
Also "nmblookup shwick_gateway" is successful.

It seems the netbios lookups are successful from the server and the wins
lookups are successful from the pc.  The wins lookups aren't successful from
the server.

I have a bind setup on my machine, but I don't tell samba to check it
because I want it using the wins server.  I set "dns proxy = no".  I get the
same results with "dns proxy = yes".