[Samba] samba stops updating user shares

nabbleusr1234565 rogersusr123 at rogers.com
Sat Jan 3 20:49:07 GMT 2009

When I share a new folder on my XP box it isn't picked up by samba after a
while.

If I immediately connect to the network and share a folder samba picks it
up.  After about 10 minutes if I share another folder samba won't pick it
up.

I notice the same problem with smbtree- after a while it doesn't list user
shares.

After looking at wireshark I could see that samba stopped sending a "Name
Query" to my XP box.  XP was still refreshing it's registration about once
every 5 minutes though.

I'm using samba 3.0.28a and have no firewalls on the lan, any suggestions
are welcome.

smb.conf

[global]
        netbios name = SHWICK_GATEWAY
        server string = SHWICK_GATEWAY
        interfaces = lo, eth1
        bind interfaces only = Yes
        map to guest = Bad User
        passdb backend = tdbsam
        syslog only = Yes
        name resolve order = lmhosts hosts wins
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_KEEPALIVE
        os level = 65
        preferred master = Yes
        domain master = Yes
        dns proxy = No