[Samba] Tunneling over SSH

Kevin Bailey kbailey at freewayprojects.com
Tue Feb 24 17:26:27 GMT 2009

Thanks for the offer of sending the script off-list - that would be good
because I'm still struggling to get the XP machines to connect.

It was strange because when I first carried out the steps in the
instructions the shares showed up straight away - even mapped the share
to a drive letter and connected Sage to the data file on the share.
That was on Friday.  Then I went back on Monday and nothing would show
the shares!!!

I'm determined to get to the root of this because it is such a useful
feature for clients - effectively the files are still accessed over
Samba.  This is probably preferable to sharing the data files out over
ssh or FTP using buggy little programs such as SftpShare or Netdrive.

Thanks again,

Kevin

RUTH, JONATHAN C wrote:
> I successfully connect to Samba using plink (part of the PuTTY family of apps).  I've also written a script to map the Samba share under WinXP.
>
> I can send you the bat files off list or post them if there's interest.
>
> Jon
>

>> Kevin Bailey wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Has anyone successfully got a Windows PC to access Samba over an SSH
>>> tunnel.  This first of all worked immediately - but now seems to have
>>> stopped.
>>>

> --

>  Jon Ruth, Ph.D.
>  Manager, FlexMatters Accelerator
>  LCI, Kent State University
>  Kent, OH   44242-0001   U.S.A.

>  NOTICE:  This message and any attached files are
>  intended only for the use of the addressee
>  indicated above, and may contain information that
>  is privileged or otherwise confidential.  If you
>  are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
>  notified that any dissemination, review, or use of
>  this message, files, or other information contained
>  herein is strictly prohibited.  If you have
>  received this message in error, please notify the
>  sender immediately by phone, fax, or e-mail.
>  Please return this message with all attachments to
>  the sender via e-mail.  Please delete any copies
>  created or stored on your computer or server.
>
>  Thank you.

*Kevin Bailey*
Director/Programmer - Freeway Projects Limited
Web: www.freewayprojects.com <http://www.freewayprojects.com/>
Email: kbailey at freewayprojects.com <mailto:kbailey at freewayprojects.com>
Phone: +44 (0)1752 267090