[Samba] Issue Joining Win7 to Samba Domain (tried wiki instructions)

Linda Walsh samba at tlinx.org
Mon Dec 21 07:23:02 MST 2009

Moray Henderson wrote:

> Something to do with the name of the machine?
---
	SMB server name is 'ishtar', Domain 'Bliss' (Ha!, wishful thinking...
it's a goal!)), and Win7 client is 'athenae'. All are in DNS domain 'sc.tlinx.org'
(an internal domain name).  Theoretically straightforward.

  You said you had to reinstall this machine - if Samba thinks it already is a member of the domain, and Windows is trying to rejoin, that could confuse it.  Are there any characters besides alphanumeric in the name?

	Well, I 'sorta' unjoined from the domain before I reinstalled, but I don't know if it 'took'.  It didn't pause a bit like it was talking to the PDC, and the reason I unjoined is I got a 'failure of trust relationship with PDC'.  So I wanted to try unjoining and rejoining to see if that would fix it.  I unjoined, and never was able to rejoin before the machine got rebuilt.  I unjoined on another machine and had problems joining for a bit due to some network testing I was doing -- but after I restored the config, the XP machine was able to rejoin the network.  The win7 machine is still out in the cold, so to speak.

	I even tried joining using the "net dom join" syntax (using -S /-U for the machine and user on the win7 machine that had perms to join) -- the PDC, did talk to the machine, as if I specified a non-existant or bad password for the user on the client machine, I got not authorized or user not found message, but when I had a correct user/pw for the client machine, I got same message on the SMB PDC "The Name cannot be found'.  It sounds like it can't find the PDC Domain name Domain...what else is the name?  It knows the client machine name.  The client machine name was still in /etc/passwd (I just tried it with the userid deleted -- same same).

	One odd thing, but it should make no difference, is the win7 client is the only all-uppercase machine in the 'net sam list workstations' .. all the rest are all lower case with a '$' after them.  The Win7's name is all uppercase w/$.  I tried
unjoining, as well, from the PDC, and got message that the unjoin couldn't be done because the join had failed.

---my smb.conf is below:

[global]
	acl group control = yes
	add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -m %u
	add group script = /usr/sbin/groupadd %g
	add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -g machines -c Machine -d /dev/null -s /bin/false %u
	#aio read size = 65536
	#aio write size = 65536
	bind interfaces only = Yes
	block size = 4096
	browseable = Yes
	create mask = 3755
	delete user script = /usr/sbin/userdel %u
	delete group script = /usr/sbin/groupdel %g
	display charset = UTF8
	dns proxy = yes
	domain logons = Yes
	domain master = Yes
	ea support = yes
	enable asu support = yes
	guest account = guest
	guest ok = Yes
	#include	= /etc/samba/dhcp.conf
	interfaces = 127.0.0.1/32 192.168.3.0/24
	log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
	log level = 2
	logon home = \\%D\%U
	logon path = \\%D\%U
	# unused; relative to netlogon(w9x) logon script = scripts\%U.bat
	map acl inherit = yes
	max log size = 4096
#	max xmit = 66576
#	min receivefile size = 65536
	name resolve order = wins lmhosts host
	netbios aliases = web-proxy clock socks-proxy Bliss
	#netbios name = Bliss
	os level = 65
	passdb backend = tdbsam:/etc/samba/.internals/passwd.tdb
	passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd '%u'
	printing = bsd
	read only = No
	recycle: keeptree = true
	set primary group script = /usr/sbin/usermod -g '%g' '%u'
	server signing = auto
	server string = Ishtar
	security = user
	show add printer wizard = no
	smb ports = 139
	time server = Yes
	unix password sync = yes
	use sendfile = true
	recycle: keeptree=true
	username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
	wins support = Yes
	workgroup = Bliss

[public]
	comment =  public include files
	path = /home/public
	read only = Yes
	browseable = Yes
	guest ok = yes

[profiles]
	comment = Network Profiles Service
	path = /home/profiles
	read only = No
	browseable = Yes
	profile acls = Yes
	vfs objects = recycle
	recycle: keeptree=true

[homes]
	browseable=no
	comment = Home Dir (Generic Homes, u=%u, U=%U, s=%S, d=%D, w=%w)
	path = /home/%U
	valid users = %S, %D%w%S
	read only = No
	create mask = 0750