[Samba] Issue Joining Win7 to Samba Domain (tried wiki instructions)

Moray Henderson Moray.Henderson at ict-software.org
Mon Dec 21 09:28:53 MST 2009

Linda Walsh wrote:
>Moray Henderson wrote:
>>
>> Something to do with the name of the machine?
>---
>	SMB server name is 'ishtar', Domain 'Bliss' (Ha!, wishful
thinking...
>it's a goal!)), and Win7 client is 'athenae'. All are in DNS domain
>'sc.tlinx.org'
>(an internal domain name).  Theoretically straightforward.
<snip>
>---my smb.conf is below:
>
>[global]
>	acl group control = yes
>	add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -m %u
>	add group script = /usr/sbin/groupadd %g
>	add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -g machines -c Machine -d
>/dev/null -s /bin/false %u
>	#aio read size = 65536
>	#aio write size = 65536
>	bind interfaces only = Yes
>	block size = 4096
>	browseable = Yes
>	create mask = 3755
>	delete user script = /usr/sbin/userdel %u
>	delete group script = /usr/sbin/groupdel %g
>	display charset = UTF8
>	dns proxy = yes
>	domain logons = Yes
>	domain master = Yes
>	ea support = yes
>	enable asu support = yes
>	guest account = guest
>	guest ok = Yes
>	#include	= /etc/samba/dhcp.conf
>	interfaces = 127.0.0.1/32 192.168.3.0/24
>	log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
>	log level = 2
>	logon home = \\%D\%U
>	logon path = \\%D\%U
>	# unused; relative to netlogon(w9x) logon script =
scripts\%U.bat
>	map acl inherit = yes
>	max log size = 4096
>#	max xmit = 66576
>#	min receivefile size = 65536
>	name resolve order = wins lmhosts host
>	netbios aliases = web-proxy clock socks-proxy Bliss
>	#netbios name = Bliss
>	os level = 65
>	passdb backend = tdbsam:/etc/samba/.internals/passwd.tdb
>	passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd '%u'
>	printing = bsd
>	read only = No
>	recycle: keeptree = true
>	set primary group script = /usr/sbin/usermod -g '%g' '%u'
>	server signing = auto
>	server string = Ishtar
>	security = user
>	show add printer wizard = no
>	smb ports = 139
>	time server = Yes
>	unix password sync = yes
>	use sendfile = true
>	recycle: keeptree=true
>	username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
>	wins support = Yes
>	workgroup = Bliss

The server string is Ishtar, but that is not the server name; you need
to set "netbios name" for that.  Your domain is Bliss, but you also have
a netbios alias for Bliss; could that be confusing something?  My setup
has "server signing = No", and I don't know the recycle option.

Do you see anything useful in /var/log/samba/log.smbd or log.athenae if
you bump up the debug level?  Could something have changed on your
server between the successful join a few weeks ago and the attempt to
rejoin after reinstalling?  Do you have other Win7 clients that do work?
Could there be another server on your network intercepting domain
requests?  From Linux,

nmblookup "BLISS#1C"

should list the IP address of the Domain Controllers of Bliss.

You said you had used Wireshark; have you also tried tcpdump at the
server end?  Win XP had a command line utility called nbtstat; does Win7
still have it?  If so, try something like

nbtstat -a Ishtar
nbtstat -c

and see if it gives you what you expect.  Ishtar should have something
like this:

           NetBIOS Remote Machine Name Table

       Name               Type         Status
    ISHTAR         <00>  UNIQUE      Registered
    ISHTAR         <03>  UNIQUE      Registered
    ISHTAR         <20>  UNIQUE      Registered
    ..__MSBROWSE__.<01>  GROUP       Registered
    BLISS          <1D>  UNIQUE      Registered
    BLISS          <1B>  UNIQUE      Registered
    BLISS          <1C>  GROUP       Registered
    BLISS          <1E>  GROUP       Registered
    BLISS          <00>  GROUP       Registered

(See http://www.windowsnetworking.com/nt/atips/atips316.shtml for an
explanation of the service codes.)

Moray.
"To err is human.  To purr, feline"