[Samba] FreeBSD 7.2 and Samba 3.3.7 AD 2003 Authentication Problem

Vladimir Orlic vorlic at ucsd.edu
Sun Aug 30 14:59:51 MDT 2009

Volker,

I've reinstalled Samba 3.3.7 and checked the timestamp on pam_winbind.so
module. It corresponds to the reinstall time ( as well as nss_winbind.so and
nss_wins.so and /usr/local/lib/samba/*) . I've found another copy of the
same lib(s) in /usr/ports/net/samba33/work/samba-3.3.7/source/bin/ folder.
That one has  different size from the one in /usr/local/lib/. I've copied it
over, but I've only managed to lock myself out of the machine, I could not
login using root from the console. Also, I've had a i386  FreeBSD VM  that I
used as a testing machine. It did not have Samba installed so I've installed
Samba fresh from the port, used the same config file with the same outcome.
Actualy, this time I can browse the network shares, but I can not use ssh or
console to log in.  And the sshd[44500]: in openpam_load_module(): no
/usr/local/lib/pam_winbind.so found message is gone.

Thanks,
Vladimir