[Samba] ldap? Samba? Nss?

Wikked one wikked1 at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 28 12:20:05 MDT 2009

> Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 09:53:42 -0500
> From: sgmayo at mail.bloomfield.k12.mo.us
> To: samba at lists.samba.org
> Subject: Re: [Samba] ldap?  Samba?  Nss?
>

> Jamrock wrote:
> > <sgmayo at mail.bloomfield.k12.mo.us> wrote in message
> > news:1247.204.184.27.217.1251396091.squirrel at mail.bloomfield.k12.mo.us...
> >> It seems my logins are taking a long time to get logged in.  I am
> >> guessing
> >> that it is worse when classes start and a lot of the kids try to login
> >> at
> >> once.  My old server did not seem to have this problem though and we
> >> have
> >> the same number of students.
> >>
> >> Where should I start looking at this?  I am guessing that it is ldap,
> >> but
> >> want to make sure.
> >>
> >> If I log in at a computer and go to start->run and type \\server, it may
> >> take 1-2 minutes until I can see my shares which is the same thing the
> >> students are seeing when logging into the domain.  I just wanted to
> >> leave
> >> any profile copying out of the equation so I just did it this way.
> >>
> > Do you have a db_config file set up?  This usually makes a significant
> > improvement in Openldap's performance.
>
> I have a DB_CONFIG file that contains the following:
>
> set_cachesize 0 268435456 1
> set_lg_regionmax 262144
> set_lg_bsize 2097152
>
> Anything else that I need to check there?
>
> The slowdown is definitely at the start of class when there are probably
> 50-60 users logging on at once.  At other times it is very reasonable.
>
> It should not be the network itself because nothing has changed there.  It
> has to be something to do with a configuration or something.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Scott Mayo - System Administrator
> Bloomfield Schools
> PH: 573-568-5669  FA: 573-568-4565
>
> Question: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.
> Answer: Why is putting a reply at the top of the message frowned upon?
>
> --

I'm going to comment on this because it sounds similar to a recent experience of my own. As illogical as it sounds I'm passing it on.  Recently I installed a samba server as a member server on an NT4 Samba/Ldap Domain. During this process I consolidated multiple servers into this one new member server. As soon one of these legacy systems was removed from the domain, file access became increasingly slow,right click operations on even local file systems annoyed and frustrated large number of users. You said the key word "old server" and I am taking a stab in the dark on this but if that server does not have the same netbios name ,legacy file and drive mappings on the client side crippled even the fastest of systems on my network. If this is the case and you still have access to your old server you just might want to test it by exposing your old shares as read only and determining if that helps log on speed.
In this particular case this is not a Samba issue so much as a Windows workstation registry and shell extension problem. I hope this provides some help. Good Luck.