[Samba] ldap? Samba? Nss?

sgmayo at mail.bloomfield.k12.mo.us sgmayo at mail.bloomfield.k12.mo.us
Fri Aug 28 12:20:56 MDT 2009

Wikked one wrote:

> I'm going to comment on this because it sounds similar to a recent
> experience of my own. As illogical as it sounds I'm passing it on.
> Recently I installed a samba server as a member server on an NT4
> Samba/Ldap Domain. During this process I consolidated multiple servers
> into this one new member server. As soon one of these legacy systems was
> removed from the domain, file access became increasingly slow,right click
> operations on even local file systems annoyed and frustrated large number
> of users. You said the key word "old server" and I am taking a stab in the
> dark on this but if that server does not have the same netbios name
> ,legacy file and drive mappings on the client side crippled even the
> fastest of systems on my network. If this is the case and you still have
> access to your old server you just might want to test it by exposing your
> old shares as read only and determining if that helps log on speed.
> In this particular case this is not a Samba issue so much as a Windows
> workstation registry and shell extension problem. I hope this provides
> some help. Good Luck.

I kept the netbios name the same.  I added in all new users and I have a
new group of computers that never connected to the old server.  The shares
are setup different on this new server also.

These new computers have the same problem as the others so I don't think
that is the problem.

My file/folder browsing seems fine actually.  It is just the logging in
that is really, really slow.

Thanks for the info.

--
Scott Mayo - System Administrator
Bloomfield Schools

Question: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.
Answer: Why is putting a reply at the top of the message frowned upon?