[Samba] Win98 asks for IPC$ password

John H Terpstra - Samba Team jht at samba.org
Wed Aug 12 22:59:53 MDT 2009

On 08/12/2009 11:20 PM, Steve Litt wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> After I converted my Linux desktop from Mandriva 2008.1 with Samba 3.0.28a to
> Ubuntu 9.04 with Samba 3.3.2, my Windows 98 box could no longer connect to my
> Linux desktop via Samba. The symptom was that Windows kept asking for the IPC$
> password.

Steve,

Samba 3.0.28a has lanman passwords enabled by default.

Samba 3.2.2 has lanman passwords disabled by default.

Windows 98 can only handle lanman passwords.

You need to enable lanman password support on your Ubuntu Samba server:

[global]
	lanman auth = yes
	client lanman auth = yes

Then make sure that your smbpasswd filee or your tdbsam file has both
lanman and nt passwords for each user.

Cheers,
John T.