[Samba] Win98 asks for IPC$ password <SOLVED>

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Thu Aug 13 10:40:48 MDT 2009

On Thursday 13 August 2009 00:59:53 John H Terpstra - Samba Team wrote:
> On 08/12/2009 11:20 PM, Steve Litt wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > After I converted my Linux desktop from Mandriva 2008.1 with Samba
> > 3.0.28a to Ubuntu 9.04 with Samba 3.3.2, my Windows 98 box could no
> > longer connect to my Linux desktop via Samba. The symptom was that
> > Windows kept asking for the IPC$ password.
>
> Steve,
>
> Samba 3.0.28a has lanman passwords enabled by default.
>
> Samba 3.2.2 has lanman passwords disabled by default.
>
> Windows 98 can only handle lanman passwords.

Thanks John, I was pulling out my hair. Your suggestions quickly solved it.

> You need to enable lanman password support on your Ubuntu Samba server:
>
> [global]
> 	lanman auth = yes
> 	client lanman auth = yes

My experiments indicate that "client plaintext auth = Yes" is also necessary.
I don't know why, but the dreaded IPC$ password symptom happens if that is
left out.

> Then make sure that your smbpasswd filee or your tdbsam file has both
> lanman and nt passwords for each user.

THIS is the crucial information. I'd already done everything you suggested,
but not in the right order that you suggest:

1) Add the lines to smb.conf
2) Restart Samba
3) smbpasswd -a w98username
4) w98username logs out and logs back in

Am I correct in assuming the way to make sure both lanman and nt passwords are
present is to redo smbpasswd -a w98username after adding the lines to smb.conf
and restarting Samba, and then just for fun looking at the resulting file?

Right now I'm writing a Troubleshooters.Com article explaining exactly how to
avoid this problem, or how to rectify it if necessary, without the 6 hour
troubleshooting sessions I went through (I should have asked you earlier). The
hope is this article, which I'll publicize to the search engines, will lessen
the number of frazzled midnight emails you guys get from Win98 users who just
upgraded to Ubuntu 9.04.

Thanks for the help and great information!

SteveT

Steve Litt
Recession Relief Package
http://www.recession-relief.US