[Samba] 20 second delays when accessing Samba on Fedora 11

Altan (aol.com) altan at aol.com
Thu Aug 6 17:59:34 MDT 2009

I had samba running fine on a Fedora 6 machine.  I've upgraded to Fedora
11 and I'm getting huge delays when first accessing a folder.  With
Fedora 11 I'm ussing samba-3.3.2-0.33.fc11.i586.

I'm getting about 60+ second delays before being requested to enter my
username/password.

I've used WireShark and can see

1) Session Setup AndX Request, NTLMSSP_NEGOTIATE
2) 20 seconds pass
3) Session Setup AndX Request, NTLMSSP_AUTH, User: xxx/yyy from my PC
4) 20 seconds passes
5) Session Setup AndX Request, NTLMSSP_AUTH, User: xxx/yyy from my PC
6) again, 20 sec
7) Session Setup AndX Request, NTLMSSP_AUTH, User: xxx/yyy from my PC

Then it asks me for username/password and I can access the share.

There isn't anything unique in my smb.conf compared to before (when it
worked well with Fedora 6).   Highlights are below.

       workgroup = HOME
         server string = Wonka

         netbios name = Wonka

         interfaces = lo eth1

        security = user
         passdb backend = tdbsam

[homes]
         comment = Home Directories
         browseable = no
         writable = yes

[Miscellaneous]
         path = /media/home/public/Miscellaneous
         writeable = yes
         browseable = yes
         guest ok = no

All my PCs have this problem and they all run XP.

Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

... Altan