[Samba] stale timestamp hell

Chuck T. freebsdfan at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 11 20:26:43 GMT 2009

I've been using a Windoze based programming editor (Slickedit) across
samba shares for years without any problems (most recently with FC5).  I've
just started using Ubuntu and I'm now having a problem with timestamps
lagging file writes.  The net result is my editor almost always
thinks another program has modified the file.

Today I built and installed samba 3.3.3. from sources and it shows
the same problem.

The problem is easy to demonstrate with a batch file:

---
Z:\home\skip>type test.bat
dir e
touch e
dir e

Z:\home\skip>test

Z:\home\skip>dir e
 Volume in drive Z is root
 Volume Serial Number is 0BF5-02B0

 Directory of Z:\home\skip

03/25/2009  05:00 PM             2,878 e
               1 File(s)          2,878 bytes
               0 Dir(s)  60,616,773,632 bytes free

Z:\home\skip>touch e

Z:\home\skip>dir e
 Volume in drive Z is root
 Volume Serial Number is 0BF5-02B0

 Directory of Z:\home\skip

03/25/2009  05:00 PM             2,878 e
               1 File(s)          2,878 bytes
               0 Dir(s)  60,616,773,632 bytes free

Z:\home\skip>dir e
 Volume in drive Z is root
 Volume Serial Number is 0BF5-02B0

 Directory of Z:\home\skip

04/11/2009  01:11 PM             2,878 e
               1 File(s)          2,878 bytes
               0 Dir(s)  60,616,773,632 bytes free
---

As you can see running touch and then an immediate directory
listing shows the old timestamp for the file.  When I do a
directory manually a second later the timestamp has been
updated.

This problem does not occur if the file is overwritten
instead of being updated.

z: is a samba share defined as follows:

[root]
    path = /
    valid users = root
    writeable = yes
    create mask = 0765
    public = no
    dos filetimes = yes
    fake directory create times = yes
    dos filetime resolution = yes
    delete readonly = yes

I added all of the filetime stuff while trying to fix the problem, nothing
has helped.

The Windoze box is XP pro with sp2.  Both boxes have gigibit
Ethernet and there's very little traffic on the network. Both boxes are
time synced to the same ntp server.

If anyone has any ideas of what's happening and how to fix it I would
be most appreciative. I've gotten into the habit of blowing off the
editor's warning that the file has been modified, which is unfortunate
since that has been the case and I've lost changes!

Skip