[Samba] is it possible to share files with windows 2003 r2 ad ?

Victor Ophof mr4hughz at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 3 16:47:26 GMT 2009

sorry not sent to list (fixed now)

From: mr4hughz at hotmail.com
To: eisofen at eisofen.de
Subject: RE: [Samba] is it possible to share files with windows 2003 r2 ad ?
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 17:39:48 +0200

> Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 07:19:36 +0200
> From: eisofen at eisofen.de
> To: samba at lists.samba.org
> Subject: Re: [Samba] is it possible to share files with windows 2003 r2 ad ?
>
> Victor Ophof schrieb:
> > Hi
> >

> > is it possible to make samba 3.3.2 function as a member server (fileserver)
> >
> > in a windows 2003 r2 Active directory enviroment ?
> I'm testing this case atm, authentication against AD, fileservices
> (logon script, homedir and profiles) are on samba w/o problems and seems
> faster than W2K3....

Unfortunalty my testing stops dead at sharing files, smbclient can auth agains DC, xp clients
only the win2k3 memberservers and to itself it errors

Is your 2003 r2 AD domain mode 2000 mixed, 2000 native or 2003 ?

> > I am using
> >
> > freebsd 6.3
> Samba was slower than on Linux in my tests last year with FBSD, but that
> maybe changed in 7.x

a bit slower or much slower ?

> > Samba is joined to the domain, I am getting stuck at the point to "logon" to shares.
> >

> > WB info displays the needed info only I am lost how to get the getent group/passwd to work
> >
> > it keeps raining spegno error's in the log
> Did you made the required changes to /etc/nsswitch.conf?

my /etc/nsswitch.conf looks like:
group: files ldap
group_compat: nis
hosts: files wins
networks: files
passwd: files ldap
passwd_compat: nis
shells: files
shadow: files ldap

please note that where ldap stands I've had also winbind

Greetz
Victor