[Samba] Rid generation

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Thu Sep 18 17:27:11 GMT 2008

On Thursday 18 September 2008 11:48:44 Nuno Fernandes wrote:
> On Thursday 18 September 2008 15:37:21 Hari Sekhon wrote:
> > Nuno Fernandes wrote:
> > > [root at server samba]# pdbedit -L -v user1
> > > User SID:             S-1-5-21-1454471165-2146950999-672003340-1416
> > >
> > > Where does it get the 1416 Rid from?
> >
> > Samba does not generate the Rid, that is a Microsoft Domain Controller
> > function (allocation of rids is controlled through the Rid master if I
> > remember my MCSE days correctly)
> >
> > Samba is simply querying the domain controller for the Sid. If samba is
> > being used as a dc, then I guess it must basically do the same thing as
> > Microsoft and generate the rid from 1000 onwards incrementally for each
> > user, similar to what happens for unix uids I expect, since rids and
> > uids are basically the same idea on different platforms.
> >
> > -h
>
> I don't have any windows domain controler. This samba server is the domain
> controller. What i would like to know is how does samba generated the RID
> part? Is it based on what? How is it calculated?
>
> Best regards,
> Nuno Fernandes

Did you check the Samba3-HOWTO?  It is available on-line in HTML or in PDF.
The HTML version is at http://www.samba.org/samba/docs. The PDF can be
downloaded from:
http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba3-HOWTO.pdf

The PDF has hotlinked index at the back, you will find RID listed in the

If this does not answer your question please let me know.

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra

"Don't do as I do; Show me better!" - Anonymous.