[Samba] Rid generation

Hari Sekhon hpsekhon at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 18 16:57:45 GMT 2008

Nuno Fernandes wrote:
> On Thursday 18 September 2008 15:37:21 Hari Sekhon wrote:
>
>> Nuno Fernandes wrote:
>>
>>> [root at server samba]# pdbedit -L -v user1
>>> User SID:             S-1-5-21-1454471165-2146950999-672003340-1416
>>>
>>> Where does it get the 1416 Rid from?
>>>
>> it must basically do the same thing as
>> Microsoft and generate the rid from 1000 onwards incrementally for each
>> user, similar to what happens for unix uids I expect, since rids and
>> uids are basically the same idea on different platforms.
>>
> I don't have any windows domain controler. This samba server is the domain
> controller. What i would like to know is how does samba generated the RID
> part? Is it based on what? How is it calculated
My guess would be that it's incremental, like on Windows, as I mentioned
above. How else would you generate it? How are uids generate on unix
systems? Incrementally.

Can any samba dev confirm this? Or perhaps you could just create a few
users and see the Rid incrementing each time?

-h

--
Hari Sekhon