[Samba] Samba write performance in kernel

Lin Mac mkl23 at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 18 14:36:57 GMT 2008

hi,

Just do some debugging, and found something. I hope this do help. Correct me if anything wrong.

I'm using samba-3.2.2.
For some reason, Linux can not splice a socket and a filefd directly, which samba does so.

In linux, sys_splice calls do_splice, which would require either in or out fd to be a PIPE(FIFO).
Both parameter (fromfd, tofd) that  samba sent with splice failed the test S_ISFIFO() in linux.

Maybe it would work to add an addition FIFO? splice(fromfd, FIFO) and splice(FIFO, tofd)?

Best Regards,
Mac Lin