[Samba] primary group

mallapadi niranjan niranjan.ashok at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 07:41:58 GMT 2008

Hi vishesh

As you have mentioned that You have configured Winbind to get user
information from AD on the Linux system. And on the AD, any user created  is
by default a member of "Domain Users" and also member of any other groups if
you have added the user to other groups.

So when you create a file on Linux systems, the default gid would be that of
"Domain Users".

Now if you want the default GID or group "Domain Users" to be some thing
else for that user, then you will have to tweak this on your Windows AD. I
don't think you can do anything through winbind.

Winbind just gets the user information and maps the SID to the appropriate
UID and GID from the (IDMAP UID and GID)  pool as mentioned in smb.conf.

Regards
Niranjan