[Samba] openvpn

Doug VanLeuven roamdad at sonic.net
Sat Sep 13 22:35:34 GMT 2008

Larry Weldon wrote:
> I have a workgroup server with samba operating well and have configured
> openvpn on it. That also seems to be working well. I also have other
> servers at different locations with samba/openvpn working.
>
> To access the openvpn server I use Windows and manually map a drive to a
> drive letter using U: as \\servername\sharename
>
> The shares work but I am mapping _through_ the samba server - that is I
> have a share on another machine (\\printserver\C on the local network)
> and I can access it remotely once the mapping to a drive letter is done
> - it is mounted at /mnt/printserver on the linux box and shared as
> "printserver" by samba so I map it as \\lwm_main\printserver.
>
> However, the program I want to run on the printserver is called Terrain
> Mapper and it requires the server to be specified as a unc
> representation (\\printserver\C) but I have set up everything on two
> separate networks, 192.168.1.0 and 10.10.0.0. TM installs OK on the
> remote client connected over the vpn but when it runs it's looking for
> the database host as a unc (\\printserver\C).
>
> How can I make this work? Being on the outside there is no
> \\printserver.

You need a wins server on your local network and you need to route openvpn,
if you have more than one network attached to the openvpn server.

I'm assuming your local network consists of 10.10.0.0 and 192.168.1.0
and the openvpn server sits on 10.10.0.0

Push the settings to the client from the openvpn server.
Assuming your openvpn server is on network 10.10.0.0
and you want to connect to servers on 192.168.1.0,
the openvpn.conf commands look like this:

push "dhcp-option DNS 192.168.1.x"
push "dhcp-option WINS 192.168.1.x"

push "route 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0"
push "route 10.10.0.0 255.255.255.0"

and of course, one of the samba servers needs to be a wins server.

If  I assume your local network is 10.10.0.0 and your openvpn client
address is on 192.168.1.0 then

push "dhcp-option DNS 10.10.0.x"
push "dhcp-option WINS 10.10.0.x"

push "route 10.10.0.0 255.255.255.0"

and of course, one of the samba servers needs to be a wins server.

Regards, Doug