[Samba] openvpn

Larry Weldon larry at welcoin.com
Sat Sep 13 12:06:37 GMT 2008

I have a workgroup server with samba operating well and have configured
openvpn on it. That also seems to be working well. I also have other
servers at different locations with samba/openvpn working.

To access the openvpn server I use Windows and manually map a drive to a
drive letter using U: as \\servername\sharename

The shares work but I am mapping _through_ the samba server - that is I
have a share on another machine (\\printserver\C on the local network)
and I can access it remotely once the mapping to a drive letter is done
- it is mounted at /mnt/printserver on the linux box and shared as
"printserver" by samba so I map it as \\lwm_main\printserver.

However, the program I want to run on the printserver is called Terrain
Mapper and it requires the server to be specified as a unc
representation (\\printserver\C) but I have set up everything on two
separate networks, 192.168.1.0 and 10.10.0.0. TM installs OK on the
remote client connected over the vpn but when it runs it's looking for
the database host as a unc (\\printserver\C).

How can I make this work? Being on the outside there is no
\\printserver.

Larry