[Samba] Samba Shortfalls?

Adam Tauno Williams adamtaunowilliams at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 15:35:20 GMT 2008

On Sat, 2008-09-13 at 00:23 +1000, Tim Bates wrote:
> Justin Piszcz wrote:
> > 1) Can not support .chm help files
> They're just files. In what way aren't they supported?

Ditto.

> > 2) Does not support locks for multi-user access to Access
> Access doesn't really support that either. But 2 staff at the school I
> work for often have the same Access file open. Not sure if they both get
> read/write, but as I understand it, MS limited Access network
> performance by design to encourage people to use MS-SQL Server instead.

I don't think the above is true;  Multi-user Access works without issue.
Whatever limitations it has are just specific to the product and its
architecture;  you can't expect a shared-file system to have the same
performance metrics as a client/server system.

> > 3) Does support URLs from windows with '%' in the path
> I just renamed a file to have a % in it's name, so yes, it works.

Ditto, works fine.

> > 4) Numerous problems with multiple users accessing same folder.
> We use Samba at a school, where often students are saving work into the
> one folder for staff to mark. Works fine.

Ditto, works fine.