[Samba] Samba Shortfalls?

Tim Bates tin at new-life.org.au
Fri Sep 12 14:23:52 GMT 2008

Justin Piszcz wrote:
> 1) Can not support .chm help files
They're just files. In what way aren't they supported?

> 2) Does not support locks for multi-user access to Access
Access doesn't really support that either. But 2 staff at the school I
work for often have the same Access file open. Not sure if they both get
read/write, but as I understand it, MS limited Access network
performance by design to encourage people to use MS-SQL Server instead.

> 3) Does support URLs from windows with '%' in the path
I just renamed a file to have a % in it's name, so yes, it works.

> 4) Numerous problems with multiple users accessing same folder.
We use Samba at a school, where often students are saving work into the
one folder for staff to mark. Works fine.

TB