[Samba] Samba 3.2.3 as a PDC will not load profiles with Vista

Jim Shanks jim at shanks.cc
Thu Sep 11 04:38:31 GMT 2008

> Hi, I'm having a Samba 3.2.3 that is running has a PDC and it is working
> quite well with XP. When I try to login with Vista it can not load the
> profiles so I'm getting a message saying that I'm using a temporary
> profile and it will be lost on next reboot. My home drive is map, I have
> access to my profile. So I really don't understand why can't I put my
> profile in the server and load it after a reboot. I add my smb.conf, if
> you see any errors please tell me.
>
> Thanks
>
> J-E

This is just a guess and may be wrong, but do you already have a Windows
XP profile stored on the server for the user trying to login with Vista?

The reason for the question is I do know from past experience that
different version of Windows do not have compatible profiles.  Because of
that I use:

        logon path = \\%L\profiles\%U\%a

in the global section so that the profiles for different versions of
Windows are stored in different directories.  The %a expands to the
client's version of Windows.

Also the profile share really should contain profile acls = Yes

Such as:

[profiles]
        comment = Personal Profile Folder
        path = /home/profiles