[Samba] Samba+LDAP: Vista clients logging out upon logon

Jon Doran jondoran at spamcop.net
Tue Sep 9 18:59:02 GMT 2008

We have a network of 12 Vista machines with a Samba PDC/LDAP server.
For the most part,
things are working great.  Our users are annoyed (to a high degree) by
the occasional
requirement to logon twice.

Since this just happened to me, I'll describe it:  I typed
CTRL-ALT-DELETE on a Vista
client, and was presented with the logon dialog.  After entering my
password (the
username was already correct), I was greeted with "Logging out".  The
machine spun its
wheels for a bit, and I was back at the logon prompt.  I entered the
password a second
time, and was successfully logged on.

I have received reports of this happening with some frequency.  At one
point I suspected
that this was related to machine passwords expiring, but this seems to
be happening too
frequently.

I have no idea where to begin the research into this, and am hoping
for some suggestions.
  (I'm not providing samba config files at the moment, since I'm not
sure they would
help).  Any suggestions?

Jonathon Doran
University of North Texas