[Samba] Problems upgrading SAMBA

Avron Gray agray at aeso.ca
Wed Oct 29 17:32:38 GMT 2008

I have a series of hosts (Solaris 8,9 & 10) that are successfully
providing samba shares.
They are all using Samba 3.0.2a, and authentication is via a Windows
2000 password server.

Everything breaks when the password server is patched beyond the first
Windows Service pack.

Here are the contents of smb.conf
# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = WINTEL
        security = DOMAIN
        password server = windowspdc.domain.com
        log level = 3
        syslog = 4
        log file = /var/log/samba.%m
        name resolve order = host bcast
        hostname lookups = Yes
        ldap ssl = start tls
# use uids from 10000 to 20000 for domain users
        idmap uid = 10000-20000
# use gids from 10000 to 20000 for domain groups
        idmap gid = 10000-20000
# Get specific share information from external files:
include = /usr/local/etc/smb.conf.%h

We need to be able to continue to provide samba shares (for oracle logs,
etc.), even after the domain controllers are patched. Any ideas?