[Samba] Closing sessions and smbstatus

Vlastimil Šetka setka at spsostrov.cz
Mon Oct 20 19:58:33 GMT 2008

> But checking our server I find that the processes DO still exist!  So
> I'm getting a user session in smbstatus with a specific PID and when I
> ps -ef | grep PID there is the smbd process still running, yet the user
> has long since logged out (days ago)?!  It's not just that the .tbd file
> hasn't been updated, it's that the /usr/local/bin/smbd process is still
> running.  A restart of Samba clears them all up immediately, but why are
> they hanging around when the client is gone?  Is this just happening to
> me on our particular setup or is this normal behavior?

We have ~400 logons per day. Sometimes (average 1 process per day) some
processes hangs - the PID exists but user is several hours loged off. In
this time other users were loged on this station... But there are some
locked files connected with this PID - I think this is because the
process isn'n closed.
Can you see some locked files connected with the bogus PID in smbstatus
output?